National Pet Day for Travelers
Today is National Pet Day. The day was founded by Colleen Paige (a Celebrity Pet Lifestyle Expert & Animal Welfare Advocate) to celebrate pets and raise awareness about the plight of pets in shelters. The day is sponsored by the Animal Miracle Foundation + Network. There are several days throughout the year celebrating different pets.
Here on the Taking Off Travel Blog, we’re celebrating the day by looking at pet travel. First of all, there’s a great infographic from PetRelocation.com showing some interesting statistics on travel with pets. For example, did you know:
- that 60% of pet owners traveled with their pets in 2010?
- the dogs are the pets that pet owners travel with most?
- the the pet-friendliness of hotels is one of the major factors influencing a pet owner’s hotel choice?
Sites for Traveling Pet Lovers
If you’re looking for information from people who share your love of pets, here are a few choices.
- The Traveling Pet Supplies blog. The owners of this family business combine their love of pets and travel to offer supplies for traveling with your pet. The blog features product reviews and useful information on pet travel. This is a new blog and so far most of the information is about dogs, with a little on cats.
- PetRelocation.com helps you move your pet both nationally and internationally. The blog reflects that focus, offering tips on training, information on pet-friendly air travel, pet news and pet relocation success stories.
- DogJaunt is a blog for people traveling with small dogs. One of the best features is the occasional roundups of dog travel links but there are guides and information covering national and international pet travel.
- PetsWelcome helps you find pet friendly travel services around the US and has a great selection of tips too.
Finally, right here on the Taking Off Travel Blog, we’ve got a couple of posts for pet lovers:
- Passport, Tickets, Pet Sitter: The Pet Owner’s Guide to Taking A Break
- Featured Travel Blogger: Teresa Matsui Sanders (of DogWonderful)
And, don’t forget, wherever you’re going, you can take advantage of our latest off airport parking discount.
Image: Petteri Sulonen/Flickr