6 Great Reasons to Buy Travel Insurance
Are you considering whether to buy travel insurance for your next trip? Are you thinking of protecting your rental car with an additional policy? Buying travel insurance is your best protection against unexpected events. Here are six reasons why it’s a good idea.
1. Preparing for emergencies is a good idea – and that’s what insurance is all about. Unless you have a crystal ball, and are absolutely sure nothing will go wrong on your trip, then it’s probably a good idea. Suppose something happens in your family and you have to change your plans? Trip insurance can insure you against the financial penalty you would normally incur for altering travel arrangements at the last minute.
2. Health issues can strike at any time. Even if you’re perfectly healthy when you start the trip, you or your loved ones could end up having to be rushed to hospital or flown home. This can be expensive and is unlikely to be covered by your domestic policy. A travel insurance policy with medical cover is a good fail safe.
3. Although you don’t own your rental car, you’re responsible if something goes wrong with it. Dents, scratches and other damage – the kind people do in car parks and then quietly drive away from – will all cost you. Taking insurance about this incidental damage will help your wallet in the long run.
4. While you may have an existing policy, can you be sure it will cover you against every eventuality? What about trip interruptions or cancellations and theft of or damage to your belongings? Read the fine print carefully to see if you need additional cover.
5. One thing you can’t predict is the weather, though goodness knows the weather forecasters make a valiant effort. However, even they get it wrong much of the time. Bad weather can cause delays and cancellations and can even completely ruin your holiday. If you’re taking a winter break and there’s no snow or a summer break where there are rain and storms, it might be better to defer your holiday. Having the right insurance policy means you won’t lose your money.
6. In the last few years, we’ve got used to hearing about companies going bankrupt or folding overnight. If this happens to your travel company, where does that leave you? If you don’t want to be up the creek, then a travel insurance policy gives you some financial protection.
As you can see, buying travel insurance can be a no-brainer under these circumstances. So think about this carefully when you book your next trip.
Planning a trip during the summer? Check out Park Ride Fly USA’s latest discount airport parking coupon for big savings on off airport parking.
Image: brewbooks/ Flickr