- April 26th 2012
Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) was founded in 1925 and was America’s first municipal airport. Used as a stop for US Air Mail planes crossing the country, it soon became more important for commercial and passenger traffic. The airport has been a pioneer in airport technology, implementing the world’s first radio-equipped air traffic control tower and the first airfield lighting system in the US. In 1968, it also became the first airport to be connected to a local/regional transit system. Amelia Earhart and Charles Lindbergh visited the airport regularly.