- February 15th 2012
Once known as Moisant Field, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY), was originally named after aviator John Moisant (the abbreviation stands for Moisant Stock Yards). While discussions about a new airport to replace Lakefront Airport started in the 1930s, it was not until after the war that construction began and commercial services began in 1946. At the time it was one of the nation’s biggest commercial airports, with a 7,000 foot runway and three runaways measuring 5,000 feet.
In 1960, the airport’s name was changed to New Orleans International Airport, a name it would retain until 2001 when the name was changed again in honor of Louis Armstrong’s 100th birthday. Read more »